THE SCIENCE OF GETTING RICH
February book review:
The Science of Getting Rich, by Wallace D. Wattles
I simply love this book!
This is an oldie but goodie, as you will hear in which industries and examples the author refers to. However, I would say that it is also completely up to date, when it comes to the actual strategy and the principles that book suggests. I do actually believe that there is an exact science to getting rich and that there are many valuable takeaways from this book indeed. As always, you need to keep an open mind while reading this book, as it might be a little bit controversial in some of its statements.
Some nuggets/summary from the book:
- There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made and which in its original state, permeates, penetrates and fills the interspaces of the universe. A thought in this substance produces the thing that is imagined by the thought. Man can form things in his thought and by impressing his thought upon formless substance, can cause the thing he thinks about to be created.
- In order to do this, man must pass from the competitive to the creative mind. Otherwise he cannot be in harmony with the formless intelligence, which is always creative and never competitive in spirit. Man must form a clear and definite image of the things he wishes to have, to do or to become, and he must hold this mental image in his thoughts while being deeply grateful to the supreme that all his desires are granted to him.
- The man who wishes to get rich must spend his leisure hours in contemplating his vision and in earnest thanksgiving that the reality is being given to him. Too much stress cannot be laid on the importance of frequent contemplation of the mental image coupled with unwavering faith and devout gratitude.
- All that is included in his mental image will surely be brought to the man who follows the instructions given above and whose faith does not waiver. What he wants will come to him through the ways of established trade and commerce.
- In order to receive his own when it shall come to him, man must be active, and this activity can only consist in more than filling his present place. He must keep in mind the purpose of getting rich through his mental image.
- He must do every day all that can be done that day, taking care to do each act in a successful manner. He must give to every man a use value in excess of the cash value he receives so that each transaction makes for more life. And he must so hold the advancing thought that the impression of increase will be communicated to all with whom he comes in contact.
- The men and women who practice the foregoing instructions will certainly get rich. And the riches they receive, will be in exact proportion to the definite of their vision, the fixity of their purpose, the steadiness of their faith and the depth of their gratitude.